I started the project through research. I went through the links on the Augmented Sculpture Overview page. Many of the videos like ‘Box’ showed projection mapping to an incredibly high standard and utilised it a performance rather than a tech demo like most videos. This video inspired the experience I’d like to create. I’d like to mimic reality in my piece.
I then searched through YouTube to find any basic examples of projection mapping that would be a good starting point.
Many of these videos used a basic sculpture and focused more on the projection itself. I decided to take this approach as it would allow me to explore the effects I could create without getting bogged down with technical issues.
My design process started through a list of possible ideas in my sketchbook.
I was particularly interested in two possibilities, an exploration of reflection or a physics simulation. I chose to pursue the physics simulation to give me an excuse to finally learn Unity and C#.
The first week of the assignment was spent learning the basics of C# and unity. Funnily enough, the physics was easy as unity has default options but I struggled to code basic things like changing an object’s colour or having it react to inputs.
As I grew more comfortable with the software. I began to focus more on my design. I created an early prototype.
I decided my final idea would be to create physical 3D objects that I could project bouncy balls onto to give the illusion that the sculpture would interact with the projection.
I learned how to randomise the flow of bouncy balls and their colour to give a more realistic simulation.
I also changed my sculpture from what was a cube to half a cube. This was to give the appearance that the cubes were coming from the wall. It also made it easier to project on more sides of the sculpture.
I could not find a way to play the unity project through VPT eliminating the possibility of interactivity. Instead, I screen-recorded the file and exported it as a .mov. I then imported this video into VPT.
I also made outlines for the sculpture that changed colour every time a ball bounced off it.
The adjustments to the sculpture and Unity program gave a cleaner result through the projector.
My design process can be seen below: